It’s NATIONAL MARGARITA DAY so let’s kick start one of the happiest days a year with a magnificent massive margarita!
So how do you make the perfect margarita? The answer to this, is simply make it exactly how you like it. Some people like them sweet, some sour and somewhere in between!
The key ingredients for making margaritas are Tequila, Orange liqueur, freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice and simple syrup.
Here are some tips for selecting the right ingredients:
The are 5 types of Tequila:
- Tequila Silver – Most commonly used in margaritas – Tequila in it’s purest form – unaged
- Tequila Gold – where colours and flavourings have been added prior to bottling or it may be a Silver Tequila blended with Reposado and/or Añejo Tequila. It is also often used as a mixing tequila
- Tequila Reposado – Rested and Aged Tequila – usually aged for 2-11 months
- Tequila Añejo – Aged for at least a year – smoother, richer and more complex
- Tequila Extra Añejo – Aged for more than 3 years – extremely smooth and complex
Info source: Tequila.Net
There are numerous orange liqueurs on the market, but typically Margaritas are blended with either:
- Triple Sec – a strong, sweet and colourless orange flavoured liqueur
- Cointreau – a triple Sec and it is perfectly balance of sweet and orange bitterness
- Grand Marnier – is a blend of cognac and triple sec
The orange liqueur will add sweetness to your Margarita – if you like your cocktail on the sweeter side, simply decrease the amount of tequila and increase the amount of orange Liqueur used!
Lemon or Lime?
Simply choose your favourite citrus! Always use freshly squeezed!
This can be added or omitted to your Margarita depending on how sweet you like your cocktails! It is simply created with equal parts water and sugar dissolved in a saucepan.
I of course like mine very sour so I create mine without any agave or simply syrup.
For this one I used:
- 45ml Silver Tequila
- 15ml Cointreau
- 45ml Fresh Lime Juice
To mix it up, simply place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigoursly until combined. Double strain into your favourite cocktail glass that has been rimmed with Tajin. I just love Tajin and I cant get enough of it. Garnish with dehydrated lime.
It is going to be a busy day so keep checking back in for more recipes.
Please TAG and mention @the_margarita_mum in your National Margarita Day posts! I will endevour to share as many as I can in my instagram stories.
I will choose 1 post to be featured on The Margarita Mum Instagram feed and it will be posted on Sunday 24th February.
Now what are you waiting for, get margaritaing!
Recipe and Photography (C) The Margarita Mum
Salud and Drink Responsibly.